Wednesday, October 21, 2009

School Grade

Bayshore has received a D as a school grade for the last three years, which makes people think we are a bad school or a "dumb" school. Which is not true or accurate by any means, until recently the school grade has been based primarily on FCAT scores. We have great teachers and administrators, who work to teach us everything we need to know on these tests, from the time we enter school we are taught about FCAT, and so one might think well then "why is Bayshore a D?" Well it's quite simple a lot of students freeze up on tests and know the material but don't show that they know the material when it comes to taking the FCAT, so the scores determine the school grade which inevitably reflects badly on everyone involved. Over the years, I have heard that we are only a few points away from not being a D school anymore and I believe that. Overall, I believe the students are smart for the most part and the faculty teaches what they need to teach.
If I were principal, honestly I'm not quite sure what I would do differently, because you can only do so much. The fact that you can't graduate without passing the FCAT, should be motivation enough. I would try to get people to worker hard and have a good work ethic, so the test scores will improve and the school grade will rise. I think that the way the Department of Education is grading the schools now will help improve Bayshore's grade, because it involves more factors than just the student's FCAT scores. The only things I think that could change would be students attitudes toward school, maybe give them something to look forward to.

3 comments:

BECK said...

In my honest opinion, students just don't give a shit about anything.

Edgar(Danny) said...

I agree with everything you are saying, but I also believe that some students may have a mindset of "oh well if I don't pass the FCAT and don't graduate I can always get my GED", which unfortunately students do go through with it.

bhsartdc.blogspot.com said...

I like how you put that the FCAT doesn't have to be the only test that our school is graded on. We do have good teachers but the teachers don't take the test, the students do.